Essential Oils! Fragrant Health & Happiness!
These fragrant plant extracts provide a wonderful aroma for a room, a home and a person and seeing as the home is our personal space, why not make it that bit more personal by creating your own wonderful home fragrance? I diffuse essential oils and burn incense everyday and whenever anyone walks into my home, the first thing they notice and comment on is how wonderful it smells.
You can also make your own simple and natural perfumes using 6 drops of essential oil in 10ml of a vegetable oil such as sweet almond oil, cold pressed sunflower oil or even organic olive oil. This is a wonderful extension of your personality. A very good friend of mine who I would like to see more often, always comes across to give me a hug. She admitted not so long ago that she was most interested in finding out what fragrance I was using!
But, why would creating a nice fragrance in your home and about your person enhance health & happiness?
- When placed in an oil burner or diffuser they kill airborne microbes helping to stop the onset or spread of infection.
- When diluted and applied to the skin they nourish, hydrate, heal and replenish the skin, helping to keep it soft, moisturized, supple and glowing.
- Essential oils enter the blood stream through inhalation and application the skin. When they enter the blood stream they help to strengthen our defences, boost general immunity, fight off internal infections, and prevent illness and infection. They also speed up the process of recovery when we are ill.
They are amazing mood enhancers because our sense of smell is directly linked to the part of the brain that controls emotions, feelings, behaviour, and memory. They have the power to lift our spirits, ease stress and tension, stimulate the mind, aid focus and concentration as well as promote relaxation, rest and sleep.
Essential oils are therefore hugely valuable aids for school (study, homework, and revision), for working from home, for resting and relaxing and they help keep those nasty bugs at bay that pop around each autumn and winter as the weather changes and cools.
Empowering Questions: Positive Intention!
At the start of your day, take 5 minutes to create some positive thoughts about the day ahead and what you can achieve. Ask yourself some simple but empowering questions.
The key is in the question; the more empowering and inspiring the question, the more positive and energising the answer.
To make it even more powerful, take one essential oil that is invigorating such as Thyme, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Lemon, or Scotch Pine. Smell the scent as you ask yourself these questions. Make sure you use the same oil every morning and that you ask yourself the same questions.
- How can I make today better than yesterday?
- What can I contribute to the world today? How can I make it a better place?
- What would be the best thing that could happen today? What could be the best outcome of today?
You might also like to do this with your partner, family or house mates.
Giving Thanks: The Attitude of Gratitude!
At the end of the day, sit quietly for a few moments and reflect on the day’s positive events. If you have negative emotions and feelings about the day this exercise can be especially beneficial. You might also like to do this with your partner, family or house mates.
The key is in the question; questions require an answer and if we use positive questions, they encourage positive replies
To make it even more powerful, take one essential oil that is calming and relaxing such as Lavender, Orange, Frankincense or Australian Sandalwood. Smell the scent as you ask yourself these questions. Use the same oil every evening and ask the same empowering questions
- What am I pleased about today? What was good?
- What did I do well today?
- What did I contribute today?
- What did I receive today?
- What can I be thankful for right now?
Forgive yourself for any wrong doing, accept negative emotions and give thanks for all that is good, no matter how small.
So there we have it. A few nice and simple suggestions for healthy bodies and happy minds this autumn. Aromatherapy together with the positive power that’s within us all is a wonderful way of promoting happiness, health and wealth, enjoying our days and stimulating a greater sense of self awareness.